Pentavite – 80 years of formulation innovation to help Australian kids thrive
Leader in children’s multivitamins, Pentavite, celebrates 80 years of supporting healthy growth and development in Australian children through an ongoing commitment to product innovation and a global standard in formulations.
Founded in 1940 by the Nicholas family, Pentavite fast became the trusted brand of choice among Aussie parents. After experiencing success at home, Pentavite was recognised by medical professionals as a leading supplement brand for supporting healthy growth and development for children.
Today, Pentavite continues to be the number one children’s multivitamin liquid in Australia. Pentavite’s original Infant Formula was developed in 1940 by the Nicholas family with the product’s legacy living on today through the modernized iteration still sold on our pharmacy and grocery shelves.
Nathan Cheong, CEO of Life-Space Group says that there is a reason why Australian parents and health care professionals continue to put their trust in the heritage brand.
“To ensure Pentavite products are formulated to best meet nutritional needs we engage unaffiliated health care professionals to assist with the development phase.” says Nathan.
“In addition to being committed to developing new products with no artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners, we ensure all our packaging clearly states any free-from or no-added claims to help parents easily navigate the products which are suitable for their child.”
In the early days, Pentavite’s range included children’s multivitamin products known as Infant Formula and Children’s Vitamin Syrup, and after being referenced in several medical journals, Pentavite quickly became recognized as a trusted children’s and infant vitamin supplement brand.
Between 1991 to 2017, Pentavite’s ownership changed twice to global fortune 500 companies, firstly to Roche and then in 2005 to Bayer. Today, global leaders in vitamin and dietary supplements, By-Health, are the proud owners of Pentavite.
Over the last three years, Life-Space Group has overseen a major brand refresh for Pentavite – the brand we now see today, and has expanded Pentavite’s product portfolio across a wide variety of formats for all children.
As leaders in the vitamins, mineral and supplements industry, Pentavite has led the way in innovation and alongside its commitment to regularly research nutrition-based health concerns impacting children, has continued to expand its range of products to support the changing nutritional needs of Aussie kids.
After ‘too much screen time’, the most prevalent health concern parents have in relation to their children is poor diet, with 47% of Australian parents saying that the consumption of foods and drinks that are high in sugar, is a problem.
This highlights a valid concern among Australian parents, as around one-third of a child’s energy in Australia comes from discretionary foods like sweet biscuits, cakes, muffins, potato and corn chips, pastries, ice cream and fried potato products.
A healthy balanced diet is the best way to support children’s vitamin and mineral intake, but as children can be picky with foods, parents may look to supplements, such as Pentavite Multivitamin + Iron Kids Chewables, to maintain and support levels of key nutrients for children’s healthy growth and development.
“On a fundamental level, Pentavite is dedicated to educating children and families on healthy eating and nutrition, and we believe that learning about nutrition in childhood is the key to setting them up for life,” says Nathan Cheong.
Over the last 80 years, Pentavite’s range has grown to include targeted health products including calcium, immune and DHA, with no signs of slowing down in 2021.
During 2021, the brand will be releasing new product formats, building on its wide range of children’s multivitamins to cater to all children’s stages of development from infant to 12 years old. While a balanced diet continues to be the best way to achieve kids’ recommended daily nutritional intake, Pentavite provides additional support for fussy little eaters.
To manage the increase in production, Pentavite is constructing an innovative new Victorian manufacturing facility (opening in 2022) in Clayton, Melbourne.
- 1940: Pentavite is founded on 5 October 1940 by Nicholas brothers Alfred and George. 75 other brands under the Nicholas Pty Ltd company including Aspro and Akta-vite. Pentavite Infant Formula was developed – its legacy lives on today with the modernised Multivitamin Infant Liquid.
- 1964: Pentavite is included in several medical journals and is referenced as being Australia’s leading infant vitamin supplement.
- 1978: Pentavite releases its first Children’s Vitamin with Iron Liquid.
- 1991: Pentavite is acquired by Roche which sees the launch of Multivitamin Chewable Tablets and Multivitamin with Iron Kids Liquid.
- 1990s: Pentavite’s brand logo and packaging receives an update, laying the foundation for the logo design over the next 20 years.
- 2005: Pentavite is acquired by Bayer Consumer Health, adding Omega-3 Fish Oil Softgel Capsules and 3 Gummies products to the brand’s product portfolio. Bayer also refreshes Pentavite’s logo and packaging twice during its ownership.
- 2018: Global leading brand of vitamin and dietary supplements, By-Health, acquires Pentavite and oversees a major brand refresh and product portfolio expansion to include calcium, immune and DHA products across new formats.
- 2021: Pentavite celebrates 80 years of supporting healthy growth and development in Australian children.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. Vitamin and mineral supplements should not replace a balanced healthy diet.
 IRI Aztec Market Edge Australia Pharmacy & Grocery Value Sales MAT to 23/08/20
 Pentavite Report December 2020